Make sure they are a "licensed" contractor.
- Any Contractor bidding a job totaling $500 or more MUST be licensed.
- All advertising must include a valid contractors license number.
- Verify a contractors license and insurance by going to the California State License Board website cslb.ca.gov
Look for reviews and photos of past work.
- This will give you some information about the contractor.
- Their relationship with past clients.
- The quality of workmanship you will receive.
- How efficiently your work will be completed as well as how well they stay on schedule.
Get a total job cost
- Get a total price to complete the entire job.
- Never accept an open ended quote. An example being... an "hourly" or "daily" rate until the fob is completed. (It's like writing them a blank check)
- Make sure all materials needed to complete the job are either included or otherwise specified.
Make sure you feel comfortable with them in your home.
- Are they clean?
- Are they courteous?
- Are they respectful?